Monday, February 6, 2012

Max Colby: Embroidery on Prints

I just discovered the work of Max Colby (soon to be graduate of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston) and it got me re-inspired to do embroidery. He first prints cell-like shapes that he then transforms with hand embroidery:


I like how they take a life of their own and almost become whimsical creatures:








He says: "The inspiration for the figurative aspect of the work is mostly from cellular forms, where the ability to distinguish between the form as pre-life (or birth) and after death is obscured.  I find inspiration for the embroidery from old victorian patterns in embroidery and wallpaper, interior design from the traditional to cutting edge contemporary as well as a full range of periods of garment construction (ornate victorian to current couture and "concept" lines).  Most of all, I find inspiration in the people I see around me towards creating hybrid forms from many time periods, cultures, genders and races creating something new that stresses breaking down stereotypes, binary terms and social paradoxes."

You can read more about it or see more of his work on his website here.  Definitely someone to watch, no?

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful unusual embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, definitely...will be keeping my eye on him...Thanks for that Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an inspirational blog and post! So I have to look more overhere :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...