Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sati Zech (German, b. 1958)

I have my mind on Berlin because we decided to go around Thanksgiving (yippeee..), so what better time to post about artist Sati Zech, who I found somehow in blogland (via the Visual Influence blog?)..




“The thick, viscous red-hued paint shaped and scrapped upon strips of naked cloth emanates feelings of femaleness: her power and passion, her cycles and repetitions. The layering, the gluing, tearing and sewing all gives rise to the idea of labor specifically woman’s labor, a kind of thoughtful, painstaking never-ending work that manifests itself in tactile visions of strength, beauty, necessity, serendipity.

The objects are very much themselves, independent and unbeholden to any specific tradition, yet they contain the emotional dynamism of Louis Burgeois, the semantic materiality of Joseph Beuys, the subtle tactility of Eva Hesse and the symbolic charge of African art. "

Source: Howard Scott Gallery

I unfortunately can't read (or speak) German so I can't share much more, but the Howard Scott Gallery is representing her in New York and has some beautiful works on paper:



I find her work so lose and powerful. I've been so focused on making things for the Stich and Tickle store, I don't think I realized how much I miss making art. How beautiful they are..

See more of her work on her website here or at Howard Scott's gallery website there... Way too beautiful for words.


And if you can recommend anything good to see in Berlin or London in November, let me know!



4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, very powerful work. Thanks for sharing this Sophie. For London, check out what is on at the Victoria and Albert Museum as well as the Modern Tate Gallery, and so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved this artist's work for a long time. I first saw the piece in your top image in ART FORUM magazine, and my heart jumped.

    It was pictured on the horizontal...what do you think about that.

    Thanks for the link to Howard Scott's gallery, I'll go see more of her work.

    Have fun in Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Sophie! Thanks for posting this. A true inspiration looking at her amazing work! And how exciting you're going to Berlin. The art scene there is amazing according to my Berliner friend who lives here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...