Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dyeing antique quilts


I have been slowly buying antique quilts. Not that I'm that fond of the traditional patterns, but I love to look at the work that was put into it, all these small pieces of used fabric (often old flour sacks) recycled into a larger piece. They are usually very soft from numerous uses and washes, and I hate seeing the ones that are full of holes go to waste.  So I set up to start dyeing them, to then patch them and mend them, to give them another life..



I am still working on getting the colors I'd like, but am getting there..




 


I also dyed some scraps to patch the holes and I love how they came out:



Now off to the mending phase...  that's if his Majesty Oops lets me of course...





1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful! Love the color choices too. My cat does the same thing. If I leave any scrap of fabric lying around he will either sleep on it or worse, throw up on it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...