Sunday, October 3, 2010

I want to be at peace with myself and others, and that's hard (Louise Bourgeois).

Sundays seem to be a time to look at long standing inspirations....  And as I'm trying to get ready to tackle the fall with a list of projects to do, the idea of a book of fabric or thread drawings keeps resurfacing..clearly inspired by Louise Bourgeois  Ode a l'Oubli and Ode a la Bievre.  Below are some of my favorites from those books:



















Sad to think that she's no longer with us but I can't help smiling looking at this page:




I hope she's having a wonderful time  - wherever she is...


Louise Bourgeois, 1911-2010

Portrait Photo (c) Christopher Burke (detail)
All artwork (c) Louise Bourgeois Trust


4 comments:

  1. I was so sad to hear she died a few months ago, one of the great women artists of our time, no? I had no idea about these books! Thanks for sharing! I'm working on something similar but I'm not sure how to put it together yet for the Sketchbook Project. Do you know about this? You might want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had a long life though.. she was 98 or 99 I think? yes, check those books out, I thought of them when I saw your work so I'm sure you'll like them. Super simple but beautiful. She was a great artist - a tough cookie but a great artist..
    Yes I did hear about the sketchbook project but haven't participated - are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a tough cookie! One of my favorite pieces of hers is a column of straw she made in her studio. I've only seen on picture of it.
    I signed up for the Sketchbook Project and am making 'tiny weaves' but haven't figured out how to fit them into the book yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...